Saturday, October 13, 2007

Experimental Cooking


After being inspired by Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, I decided to do a little experimental cooking. I came up with Pumpkin Sweet Potato Bread. It's very moist and healthy. Overall I am pleased with its outcome. After making this, I realized I really am my mother's child. Here is the recipe I made up:
Morgan's Pumpkin Sweet Potato Bread
1/2 c. Brown Sugar
1 Large Egg
3 Egg Whites
1 1/4 c. Orange Juice
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Allspice
2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Cloves
2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tbsp Grated Fresh Ginger
Zest of 1 Orange
1 c. Whole Wheat Flour
1 c. Oatmeal
1 c. White Flour
1/2 can Pumpkin (about 7 oz)
1 Small Sweet Potato
1/2 c. oil
1 c. Chopped Walnuts and Pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wash sweet potato, prick with a fork, and microwave for 5 minutes. In a blender, combine whole wheat flour and oatmeal. Blend until it is a fine powder. Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl with a hand mixer, except for the sweet potato and nuts. Peel the sweet potato, cut into chucks, and place in a separate bowl. Using the hand mixer, puree the sweet potato. Add puree to the mix and blend until smooth. Hand stir in the nuts. In a greased pan, pour batter and bake for 35-40 mins until done.
Blending the whole wheat flour and oatmeal into a fine powder, eliminates that "heavy" taste that whole wheat flour can sometimes have. This bread isn't super sweet because I don't like sugary breads. So if you do, you might want to add more sugar.

1 comment:

Holly West said...

You're not your mother's daughter because you put salt in this recipe!

Good job for making this up. I look forward to more treats.