Monday, October 15, 2007

More Than a Dishrag

Ever since I started knitting, the only things I have made are dishrags. They were a great way to practice different stitches and didn't take that long to make. While I am still making dishrags, I decided to try and make a hat. My intention was to make a hat by knitting in the round, but then my mom gave me one of those knitting looms. So I tried it out and made a hat and scarf set for myself. I love the loom knitting! It's so fast. I finished the hat in one day, and the scarf only took me about two days. The only downside to loom knitting is you can only really do a stockinette stitch. That's okay though because that's usually the stitch you use for a hat. I did go out and buy a circular knitting needle, and I will learn how to properly knit a hat in the round, but for right now I'm diggin' the loom.

1 comment:

Holly West said...

The loom is definitely fun and a good way to do fast knits--but you really are limited in terms of types of stitches and gauge. If you want to do a finer knit you have to use needles. As for the circular needle, I love using them now. Just remember that for smaller diameter knitting (like gloves or socks) you either have to use double pointed needles or two circulars (a technique I've never used).

Cool hat and scarf though!