Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Make-Over Begins

Ever since I moved into my house, I have re-decorated each room one at a time. I started with the kitchen, then went on to the guest bathroom, my bedroom, and then my bathroom. I have now arrived at my craft room. Originally this room was an everything room. Anything that didn't really fit anywhere else pretty much ended up here. I really wanted to change that. I wanted a room that was organized and functional, but at the same time, classy and relaxing. Unlike, the other rooms, I really took my time to think about how I wanted to do things. I also really needed to keep things as low cost as possible.
It all started with a paint color I found by accident. One day I was at Home Depot waiting for them to mix up paint for the outside of our house. While I was waiting, I decided to look through the "oops" paint. I ended up finding a great shade of light blue. It was a gallon of Behr paint for only $5.00! What could be better? I bought it right away and began thinking of what colors I wanted to go with it.



I spent a great deal of time one day at Joann's trying to get ideas. Originally I was leaning towards a blue and brown combination, but was having difficultly finding just the right shades. As I was walking around the store I noticed a black and white sewing box. The moment I saw it I knew that was going to be my color combo. Light blue, black and white. I looked through the black and white quilting fabric and found everything I was looking for. I picked 4 different fabrics.
So today was the big day. I was able to get the entire room painted and I love it so far! Because keeping costs down was important, I needed a way to change the look of my burgundy office chair. I found a great black and white striped material that I used to make slip covers for the chair. It was pretty easy and turned out exactly as I envisioned. For the top part of the chair I created a tube the size of the top part of the chair. I placed the tube over the top of the chair and then used pins to outline the chair shape. I then took the tube off, and sewed the top up by following the pin outline. After placing the tube back on the chair, I ran a piece of ribbon along the bottom, cinched it tightly, and then tied a small bow. I did the same thing for the bottom part too. So now I have a new chair for only 5 bucks. I will keep you updated as I progress. I'm excited to see the final product.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! A NEW BLOG!
Good for you for being so thrify and creative. I'm a HUGE fan of blue and brown, so I must say I'm bummed you didn't go with that. I do however think that the black, blue and white combo is more you. More "Breakfast at Tiffanys" 1950 look that is great and goes well with the era of your home too.

Keep the blogging coming. I want to see truck pics!

Holly West said...

Lookin' good! Can't wait to see the finished room.