Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Let's hear it for Butternut Squash!


Butternut squash. I LOVE butternut squash! It comes from the Cucurbitaceae family and is choke full of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Beta-carotene. This fantastic fruit (yes I said fruit) is known in the science world as Cucurbita Moschata, but to me it is known as just plan yummy! For dinner tonight I made oven baked chicken nuggets and a butternut squash puree. Even though this winter squash has a delightful taste on its own, I still like to experiment. Here is the recipe for what I came up with:
Morgan's Italian Squash Puree
4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
1/3 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 tsp dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh thyme
A dash of garlic salt
1) Place cubed squash in a microwave safe bowl with a little bit of water. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving a small side open for venting. Microwave until squash is tender, about 15-20 minutes.
2) Add ricotta cheese, thyme and garlic salt to the cooked squash and blend with a hand mixer until creamy.
3) Add shredded cheese and Parmesan cheese to mixture and mix by hand.
Serves 4-5
2= Weight Watcher points per serving

1 comment:

Holly West said...

Sounds very yummy. I'll have to try this.