Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Running Treasure Hunt

I normally have to work on Saturdays so I use that as a day off from running. When I do get a weekend off (during the spring and summer) I use Saturdays to do a running treasure hunt. The night before I go onto Craig's List and find four to five garage sales in my area. I Map Quest the addresses and put together a running route so I hit them all. I make a list of directions, if necessary, and then set off for my run the next morning. It's a great way to hit garage sales and exercise all at the same time. I take a little money with me in my shoe pouch in case I find something I want to buy. Sometimes you find other sales along your path that weren't advertised. When that happens, it's just a little bonus. That's what happened today. I hit an extra three sales today for a total of six. I didn't buy anything, but I did discover a whole new area to run. That's always a plus! Running with a purpose in mind always makes things a little more interesting. Lots of time I run to Target or Trader Joes, do some shopping, and then run home with my purchases. I might look odd running with a bag of groceries under my arm, but it saves time, gas, and money in the end!

2 comments:

Holly West said...

Get a light weight cloth backpack and use that to carry your stuff back. I hate carrying stuff when I run.

Morgan said...

I actually have a cloth bag from Target that folds up small enough to shove up my sleeve. It's not too bad running with my stuff. It's only about a mile home from Target and I have mastered the "carrying" running postion. So it works.