Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Certain Girls: The Review

I can't believe how many books I have read during the Spring Reading Challenge. I finished my sixth one tonight. Once again I enjoyed it tremendously. Thrillers are normally my genre of choice, but ever since I started trying different selections, I realized how much I like the plain old traditional novel. "Certain Girls" was a delight to read. I had never heard of Jennifer Weiner prior to picking this book off of the library shelf. She has written other books I will most definitely read in the future. This book was written in a very interesting way. It is about a mother and her 13 year old daughter. It is written in the first person, but from the mother and daughter's prospective. The first chapter is written from the mother's view. The second chapter is written from the daughter's. It then alternates between the two. Overall, I liked reading the story from the daughter's perspective more than her mom's. I found I could relate to the daughter more, as I am not yet a mother. Two thumbs up I give it!

For my seventh book, I chose a biography. It's called "Dead Lucky: Life After Death on Mount Everest." Written by Lincoln Hall, it is his account of climbing Mount Everest. The book jacket describes it as "A gripping , almost unbelievable story of survival." I figure you can't go wrong with that...right?

No comments: