Monday, May 25, 2009

Review: Dead Lucky

For a change of pace I choose this autobiography and I'm really glad I did. I never put much thought into the subject of climbing Mount Everest until I read this book. In 2006 Lincoln Hall, of Australia, set out to film the climb of a young boy trying to be the youngest person to successfully summit Mount Everest. Lincoln had tried to summit one other time in 1986 but he was forced to turn back. This time he did successfully make it to the top, but he suffered severe cerebral edema and was left for dead just below the summit. His family was notified of his unfortunate fate and he was listed as another life taken by Everest that season. Somehow he was able to survive the night and was discovered alive by other climbers. With the help of the Sherpas, Hall was able to get down the mountain and recover. He did sustain a large amount of frostbite, but other than that, he was fine.

As I read, I keep thinking what would make a person want to climb this mountain? It takes about two months to do so and costs over $25,000. The permit alone is $10,000. Plus the risk factors are through the roof. I think I'll just stick to running.

With a little less than a month to go in the reading challenge, I feel like reading another thriller, so I am going to go with Malice, by Lisa Jackson. She's a best selling author that I have never read and the story looks interesting. We will see.

No comments: