Thursday, December 15, 2011

I Love to See You Smile


In the last couple weeks Baby J has started something I just can't get enough of.  He smiles!  And these are not the newborn "gas smiles," these are the honest to goodness "I'm the happiest boy on the planet" smiles.  The first one came on November 20th.  We were at my mom and dad's house for a party.  Baby J was hanging out in his bouncer seat enjoying all the noise and activity when my dad walked up and started talking to him.  I'm not sure what my dad said but Baby J must have liked it because he gave my dad the biggest grin I've ever seen.  My dad immediately called my mom over to witness the event.  Of course I wish I had been the first person for him to smile at but I guess it's fitting that my dad was the lucky one.  After all he was the first person I told when I found out I was pregnant.

After he smiled for the first time, it was weeks before I saw that toothless grin again.  It was early one morning and I was making funny faces and noises at him.  He must have thought I was just too hilarious so he gave his mama a big ole smile.  I praised him and he did it again.  My heart just melted!  I immediately felt this overwhelming feel of love.  Nothing else mattered in the world.  It was the same feeling I got when Jim told me he loved me for the first time.  Sappy I know, but so true.  Everything in that moment was perfect!

Now he smiles at me multiple times through out the day and I still get the same feeling every time I see one.   I can't get enough of them.  Everyone is as special as the first.  I didn't know something as minor as a smile could make you feel so grand.  One thing I'm learning about this whole motherhood thing is that it is the little things that makes it so great.  That smile on the changing table, the questioning stare while getting a bath or the squirty sounding fart amidst dead silence.  I eagerly look forward to his first laugh but for now I am savoring every smile as if it were the last.

No comments: