Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Let Me See You Sweat



Today Baby J is 8 weeks old.  I can't believe it.  Time has certainly flown by.  Pretty soon I'll be carting him off to little league games but until then I'm taking him to MY GYM, a children's fitness center.  I believe exercise is extremely important and I want to start Baby J off right.  Today was his first visit to the gym.  Every Tuesday from  12:45-1:30 babies 6 weeks to 6 months can come to the Little Bundles class for free.  I learned about this at Mommy and Me.  A few of the other moms take their little ones too.

The class starts off with circle time.  All the babies are lying on their blankets and we sing songs to them, move their arms and legs, and do baby massage.  We also dance around with them.  Baby J wasn't really aware of what was going on.  He preferred to look at the bright colors on the wall and ceiling.  He did, however, protest quite loudly when it came to tummy time.  That poor boy HATES being on his tummy.  I'm not sure why but when I do flip him over on his stomach he usually hollers right away and becomes inconsolable.   This concerns me because I know how important it is when it comes to crawling and muscle strength.



After tummy time comes the fun stuff, the swings.  Baby J did appear to like those.  They have foam discs and a foam ball that helps hold the baby in position.  It worked really well.  While the babies are swinging the staff of the class offers stations to demonstrate different activities to do with your child to help them learn balance, coordination and other developmental skills.



Baby J started to get really fussy at this point so I had to sit to the side and feed him.  Next time I'll have to plan the feeding thing out a little better.  It was obvious I had fed him too early but at least he made it though most of the class.  All in all it was a lot of fun and I look forward to future classes.  I also can work with him at home doing the things we learn in class.  I'm hoping by the time I have to go back to work he will be able to tolerate tummy time and be a little stronger.  If you are interested in learning more about MY GYM you can visit the website at www.mygym,com.  I probably will not be taking him once he has to pay.  It's kind of expensive and I can't really justify the cost, but in the meantime I'm cashing in on the free time!  




No comments: