Thursday, January 5, 2012

Time Capsule


I know it's been a few weeks since my last post.  I got busy with the holidays as I'm sure everyone did.  Baby J had a great first Christmas.  The whole family was here and I'm not gonna lie, he got a lot of awesome gifts.  The two highlights being a handmade toy box made by his Grandpa David and a custom designed Muppet from his Auntie Holly.  I've decided the holidays are a lot more fun with a kid, even if they are only 2 months old.



Enough about the holidays, on to the point of this post.  So as you may or may not know, I am a nostalgic person.  I save all sorts of stuff.  Receipts from vacations, ticket stubs, pictures, etc.   You should see Baby J's baby book.  It's already jam packed with pictures and what not.  So when I read about doing a time capsule for your kid on another blog I immediately wanted to make one too.  The person in the blog made a time capsule of things from her child's 1st birthday.  I, however, am going to do it with things from Baby J's first year.  On his 18th birthday I will give it to him.

I have a plastic container in his closet that I can just add things to as I get them.  When I have something I want to add, I write the date on it and a sentence or two as to why I'm adding it.  For example, he got a little name tag that said "Hello, my name is Jim" from Red Robin.  It was his first trip to a restaurant and it was a special promotion for people named James.  I wrote all this on the back of the name tag and  dropped it in the container.  I also have a Sacramento Bee newspaper from the day he was born, a picture his cousin colored for him on his first trip to Oregon, and his first Halloween costume.

I know I will have to be selective as time goes on.  This is something I can easily get carried away with.  I'm not sure what else I will add.  Maybe one of our favorite outfits that he wore or his first pair of shoes.  Who knows.  While I was pregnant I wrote to him in a journal so I will throw that in there too.

I hope he likes it when he is 18 because I know I'm going to enjoy putting it together.






2 comments:

Sharon O. said...

Great idea. I will love to see it in 18 years, too.

Amanda Sevall said...

What a great idea! I'm all about preserving memories, so I'd totally be doing that!! :)