Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Give Me a Marathon Anyday!

Back in January we had a huge storm that took down the fence between us and the neighbors (not to mention a few other things). I wasn't surprised that it fell down. It was pretty much on its last post anyway. Here are a few pictures of the damage.
























Our neighbors have a dog, and even though I love her dearly, she has destroyed our yard. So a new fence needed to be built pronto! One thing I miss about renting, is that I now have to fix something if it breaks. Neither Jim nor I have ever built a fence, but thankfully Jim's step dad lives close by and is more than willing to lend a helping hand. On Saturday we bought all of the supplies.


Sunday was the day of hard labor. Let me tell you, I have never worked so hard in my life! I thought building our patio was the worst. Getting this fence started takes the cake! Give me a marathon any day. At least you know the pain will be over in four hours.

First we had to rip down the old fence.



Next came the worst part. We had to dig up the old concrete and posts. That was pure torture! We all took turns breaking the concrete with a sledgehammer and digging it up with this long, extremely heavy pole with a point at the end.




By the time we got all of the concrete up, I could barely lift my arms. The next part was easier. We had to mix the new concrete and put the posts up.


Once we got all of the posts set, there was nothing more we could do for the day...Thank God! The next part will be to put up the 2x4's and start screwing on the pickets. That will take place this weekend. Too bad I have to work all weekend : )

P.S. I am still sore!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't they have electric post diggers (and jackhammers) you could have rented to take the edge off the labor? I also hope your neighbor is paying 1/2 the supplies (at least). Legally they're supposed to.

I can't believe they still let their dog out with the fence down. What kind of jerks do you live next to anyway!?!?!

I'm sorry your beautiful yard got ruined. Mine's in bad neglect right now.